Sunday, February 2, 2014

Getting Terminated

The day seemed to start out as usual. I got to work with a list of tasks to get accomplished. The nightly closers hadn't got to vacuuming or taking the garbages out, and since we had corporate management coming after their phone call it all needed to get done before we opened. As my co-worker showed up to work, she met a woman outside the door and let her in. At first I was confused because we hadn't even opened yet and she was letting in a customer already. I soon realized she was one of the people we were expecting a visit from. I introduced myself, asked her name. and got back to my chores. Just as we were about to open, my manager pulled me into the back office.

We had a long discussion about policies from that point on. Hoping that corporate had finally taken notice of my plea for the need for a whistle blowing policy, I sat in anxious anticipation till they got to the point. I soon realized I was under fire for something I'd done, but still beating around the bush the point was being evaded. Finally at long last, the conclusion. "So you've given one of your friends and family discounts to a co-worker who gave it to someone you've never met." "Yes, that is correct. I was asked by my co-worker for one so she could give it to someone in her family I'd never met,and I didn't know how to tell her no" I responded. The HR representative went on, "We've got record that you made some changes to an account with your discount attached to it in August. Even though you've never met him, and even though you didn't know he was on your account, you still broke policy by accessing his account and making some changes. Because you did a training that taught you that this was against policy, this action will result in your termination."

Emptiness. Silence. Stillness. I stood up to leave in the middle of the next sentence. I collected my things and headed for the door. I got a ride home, because my wife and I have been sharing one vehicle. Shock was an understatement. My wife gets a stipend from her volleyball scholarship, but doesn't have a job. What are we going to do? How am I going to tell her? How will I explain this to world without looking like an incompetent, unethical fool?

It's been four days since. Today is Fast Sunday. No, it's not going any faster than other Sundays. It's the perfect day to sacrifice food for 24 hours so I can submit the needs and wants of my body to commandments given me by Jesus Christ. This submission empowers and strengthens my spirit by breaking my heart and humbling my attitude. My level of gratitude exceeds all my other fears. Keeping the commandments with the knowledge that God cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance truly motivates me to choose my love. I mean to say that if I love God I'll give up the shows I shouldn't be watching. I'll give up the language that offends him. I'll give up the selfish, impure, unkind, devilish thoughts that fleet across my mind that once in awhile get entertained for the fun or the laugh of it. I'll work harder to proclaim the gospel, redeem the dead, perfect the saints and take care of the poor and the needy.

With the freedom from not having a nine to five I've had the chance to reevaluate my priorities, reconvene with my wife and grow closer to her, and reassess my relationship to my Father in Heaven to what I need to do draw nearer to him. I've spent more time on my knees than I have since my younger brother took his own life. My Savior has once again proven his love and endless compassion for me. He's filled my heart with so much love that it feels like an orange being squeezed till the juice bursts from their pockets and streams out in the form of my tears running down my face. I love my Savior, and all will be well because I have turned things over to him, and I'm willing to do everything he asks of me.


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your job! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

    ReplyDelete